Saya tidak menyangka, ada lomba cerpen yang hadiahnya bisa sampai 20 juta. Juara tiganya saja mendapat 10 juta. Wow! Biasanya kan lomba novel yang mampu mencapai angka itu. Tapi wajar juga sih, ini Kemenparekraf (Kementerian Pariwisata dan Ekonomi Kreatif) yang punya gawe. Continue Reading →
Feel like writing good speculative fiction? This is for you, then. Founded in September 2000, Strange Horizons is a weekly web-based magazine of and about speculative fiction. The term “speculative fiction” refers to what is more commonly known as sci-fi, but which properly embraces science fiction, fantasy, magic realism, slipstream, and a host of sub-genres. They want:
- Stories that have some literary depth but aren’t boring.
- Styles that are unusual yet readable.
- Structures that balance inventiveness with traditional narrative.
- Characters we can care about.
- Settings and cultures that we don’t see all the time in speculative fiction.
- Stories that address political issues in complex and sensitive ways. Continue Reading →
Have you, as a fiction author, ever been asked by people pretended to know everything about work of writing and publishing? Were you boxed into a corner by those questions? I was. I have ever faced few “judges” like that. But I never give a damn, ha-ha. I have a list of what did my friends negatively say about work of fiction. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to translate those into English. But I bet you already knew things like: all fiction writers are liar, a words waster, ones who live in imagination without seeing the real world, blah. Insignificant accusations that can be easily countered. Continue Reading →