Feel like writing good speculative fiction? This is for you, then. Founded in September 2000, Strange Horizons is a weekly web-based magazine of and about speculative fiction. The term “speculative fiction” refers to what is more commonly known as sci-fi, but which properly embraces science fiction, fantasy, magic realism, slipstream, and a host of sub-genres. They want:
- Stories that have some literary depth but aren’t boring.
- Styles that are unusual yet readable.
- Structures that balance inventiveness with traditional narrative.
- Characters we can care about.
- Settings and cultures that we don’t see all the time in speculative fiction.
- Stories that address political issues in complex and sensitive ways. Continue Reading →